Thursday, September 30, 2010

Someone elses trash...

About a month ago, while on a morning run, I spied this very interesting looking lamp. It had been put out for trash!?! If it was still there on my way back I'd pick it up - it was meant to be. If it wasn't there I'd kick myself - ALWAYS seize the moment!
For now my new special lamp is sitting in our basement waiting to be made over. It's base is solid wood, the little table is marble and there's a stamp - made in Italy (uhuh).
I've added this gem to 'The to do list' but have no idea when I'll get to it. In the mean time I'm searching for the perfect new shade, deciding on what colour to paint it and wondering where I'm going to put it(?). Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "it was meant to be" because you got your run in, had time to think and found yourself an interesting piece, and a challenge - (life without challenges becomes stagnate).
I see this find beside a chair with a larger shade, warm lighting, where one can put a drink on the table and curl up and read, listen to music or just veg and contemplate life. Enjoy.

M said...

How about a large wicker-type shade that is the same natural colour as the wood base - it would help bring top and bottom together and tone down the ornate middle? Or ... there is always your magic paints.

Alan said...

Well, you're just lucky that my bride was not able to get there before you! I think that lamp/table has some terrific potential in the hands of an artist such as yourself.

As Anonymous said, it belongs near a comfy chair, by the fire ready for reading, knitting or sewing and, of course, the mandatory glass of wine - Italian red, I should think, to bring on the warmth and atmosphere of Tuscany.

Cheers!