Sunday, February 19, 2012

Making The Colour Wheel Mirror

I thought I'd share the process of making The Colour Wheel Mirror. (1) With all my mirrors I start with a swatch board which determines the design - colours, size, elements used etc. With that, and a little math, I determine how many tiles, beads or whatever else I'm using will be needed to complete the project (running out of stuff half way into a project is never a good thing). Having more supplies then you think you'll need is always a good idea. (2) My canvas is 3/4" plywood which is primed then painted becoming the guide for laying out the design - a paint by number of sorts. (3) With the canvas ready and the supplies gathered (4) I'm good to go for laying things down. (5) One 3/4" vitreous glass tile (using glass tile nippers) is cut into 6ths. (6) These pieces (tesserae*) are then laid down and glued into place. When the mosaic is complete (7) the mirror is dropped into place and the back is wired up for hanging (8). And that's that. Then it's onto the next one...

*tessera, n pl -serae [-səˌriː] (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Ceramics) a small square tile of stone, glass, etc., used in mosaics

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. Wish you were in Alberta and offered classes!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Love this mirror - I'll never do it, 'cause I'm just too lazy(!) but I could just look at your work for hours on end. Thanks for letting me dream!

Unknown said...

It was really gorgeous DIY mirror I ever seen. I reviewed so many mirror as well as made few DIY bathroom mirror, but you make me zero to your creativity. Hats off to you...

Anonymous said...

Excellent guide to build a bathroom mirrors. Sadly i don't have enough time to DIY one myself so i have to buy one online from a good site.

https://toiletsguide.com/best-bathroom-furniture-sets/

HUNTING COMMANDOS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Badspiegel said...

This are amazing works

thank you very much

jack johnson said...

bathroom mirrors

Home Remodeling - Get the best ideas for kitchen & bathroom remodel. We offer the best ideas to add a mirror in the bathroom. Visit for more info - Onestoprenospot.com

to get more - https://onestoprenospot.com/

Harrow Decor said...

Thank you for sharing the process of creating The Colour Wheel Mirror! It's fascinating to see how much planning and preparation goes into each piece, from determining the design and gathering supplies to priming the canvas and laying down the tesserae. The attention to detail and precision required is impressive, and the end result is stunning. It's clear that creating mosaic mirrorsis a labor of love, and the finished product is a beautiful reflection of the artist's skill and creativity. Thanks for the insight into your process!